Pages

Home
About
Authors
Do Hard Things Conference Philippines

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Spreading the Rebelution in the East

When Christin and I began this Blog, we made a commitment to be Rebelutionaries and to spread the Rebelution in the East, starting with our country, the Philippines.

Honestly, it was more difficult than I expected. I thought the people we told would be thrilled and would want to hear more. I thought they would be enthusiastic and take a stand immediately. Instead, we were met with blank stares and questioning faces...perhaps they were wondering "Why would anyone want to do that?"

Sometimes, the culture of one's country is easier to follow that to go against. I guess it's what some people have grown used to doing, ever since they were kids. Tradition is tradition and cannot be escaped. We have to either accept it or rebel against it. I guess people find it "easier" to follow after the culture, follow after the traditions that have been passed down. That way, they could blend in with the crowd, and not be labeled as "different", "odd", or "weird." I guess some teenagers aren't fully concerned with anything outside the "Thou shalt not kill" and "Thou shalt not steal" stuff; they are not fully aware that there is more than just that.

People are used to the status quo of life here. No changes, please. They don't want anything different. Everything is the same old process. They don't want anything shockingly different. If a change comes up, they want it slowly, snail-pace.
Honestly, I feel so impatient sometimes. So desperate for them to see the truth! ...that I feel like taking a metal pan and a spoon and going bang! bang! to get everyone's attention. (Of course, I would never do that.)

Despite the slow rise, there ARE Rebelutionaries. Some of them are still hesitant, some of them haven't fully come in to the open...but there are Rebelutionaries. Some of the teens in our youth group are beginning to take a stand slowly. Christin told several officers from the SIBFK-AAFC organization, and they were very excited and enthusiastic about the Rebelution. They even memorized its meaning. I just hope that they - and more - will wake up, open their eyes, see the truth...and catch Fire.

I'm not discouraged. It's hard, I admit, but whenever I think of what the verses in Isaiah say, "...but they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40:31), I feel my strength returning. I'm doing this for the Lord...and that's what keeps me going.

Progress is slow. Teens don't really care. Culture is demanding. Despite all that, I feel energetic. It's pretty amazing, actually. Instead of feeling tired and weak, I feel strong. Instead of feeling discouraged, I feel a renewed hope. Instead of weariness and reluctance, I feel the urge to move on.
No, I'm not discouraged. Just a little impatient, but I've learned to accept the fact that everything will happen in God's own perfect time.

To my fellow Rebelutionaries, keep up the good work! It's hard, but remember, we're doing this for the Lord. Our labor is not in vain (1 Corinthians 15:58).

No comments:

Post a Comment