Pages

Home
About
Authors
Do Hard Things Conference Philippines

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

IGSL Summer Experience



A picture with the women from IGSL. They come from different countries, such as Nepal and Vietnam.


I took on a volunteer job this summer. My very first job. It started out as an, well, you could think of it as an "assignment" for our NSTP summer classes. I had to find a ministry that would focus on my leadership training, something along the lines of DVBS, they (the school) said. Since our church decided not to have a DVBS this year, I had to look elsewhere. Mom inquired one of the homeschooling dads (an indoor soccer coach) who is a staffer at Campus Crusade for Christ, currently taking up his Masters Degree in IGSL. He told me about one of the students there, a lady from Myanmar, who would be teaching a summer class, and would I be interested in assisting her? Not to teach, as it was beyond my experience, but to help in what ways I could. I told him I'd pray about it and ask the teachers...

As it turned out, we didn't have to look for a ministry for training. Our Ministry Week hours had been credited, and we were told that we could spend the rest of the summer taking a real vacation.

I thought of calling up the coach and telling him that I didn't need the job anymore, but I had this peculiar feeling that God was leading me to Something there. God's whisper came to me, Take the summer volunteer job at IGSL. And so I took it.

I was reluctant at first. Hestitant. Afraid that I would not be able to do what would be required of me. Afraid that I would make a mess of the whole thing. God showed me that He was in control, and that this was how He wanted me to spend my summer.

During those ten sessions (although I missed three), I had a great time. Great, as a matter of fact, is an understatement. I learned so much. It was not just training for my leadership skills. The student I assisted, Ahsie, taught Inductive Bible Study on the book of Jonah. I learned how to study the passage as a whole, and then take the verses down and study them separately in order to glean as much wisdom and truth from the Word of God. Not only that, I learned how to make a book chart and even a delicious Burmese dish!

I thank God for pushing me gently in the right direction. I learned more than what I expected. He also showed me to trust in Him in everything. Soli Deo Gloria!



Ahsie, the student I assisted.


A view of the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment