Pages

Home
About
Authors
Do Hard Things Conference Philippines

Monday, May 12, 2008

"Lacking Nothing"

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want...

Before my grandfather died, he gave each of us, his grandchildren, Chinese names. Since he tended to have some superstitious tendencies, he consulted his little book for our birthdays. Usually, Chinese name their children after what is "lacking." For example, according to my grandfather, if you are a girl and you lack pearls, your name is Po-Tsu, which means "Treasure of Pearls."
Since we don't believe in those things, we disregarded the "lackings" and just kept the name. He called me Po-Gioh, which means "Treasure of Jade." He told us later that the had made it up because when he looked up my birth date, he found that I was "lacking nothing."

I flip the pages of my Bible to Psalm 23 and realize that the passage pretty much describes my life.
1. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup Runneth over.
6. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
Yes, I have everything I need and could possibly want. He's given me a warm home, wonderful parents, loving siblings. He's put me in a great school, surrounded me with great friends.
As I think about it, all I can say is that it is indeed true. God has been faithful to me, always taking care of me, always watching over me, always providing for my needs.

And I think about how fitting it is that Po-Gioh should be my Chinese name. "Lacking nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment