Pages

Home
About
Authors
Do Hard Things Conference Philippines

Monday, June 23, 2008

Strength in Time of Weakness

How hard must it be to be a superhero? Surely, in spite of all their abilities and powers, they must have some form of weakness.
Superman (It's Not Easy) is a song from Five for Fighting. It was written from the superhero's point of view. He laments that, although he is a superhero, he still experiences struggles and pain.

We can relate to that - we face the world on our two feet, but there are times when it brings us to our knees.

Our family devotion last Friday night was all about this. All about everyday struggles. All about feeling weak.
We shared the things that we struggled with, daily. For some of us, it was a struggle about being diligent in school work. Waking up early. For my older sister, it was her teachers and some of her classmates. For me, it was city traffic and Saturday classes. Simple things, but they cause us to struggle all the same.

In Second Corinthians, Paul writes that God is our source of strength in the times when we are weak. We go through these struggles so that God might be glorified, and that His power may be revealed. It is when we are weak that we are strongest, because it is no longer us, but God who is working. It is when we learn to lean on Him for strength.

I'm still struggling with the city traffic, but I've learned that during those moments when I'm sitting alone in the bus with nothing to do, I can talk to God. I'm still struggling with the Saturday classes (because it means I have to move some ministries), but I know that as for now, it is God's will.

What are some struggles you're facing right now? Are you still trying to fight it on your own? Or have you surrendered it all to God, knowing that only He can help you win the battle?

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

No comments:

Post a Comment