Pages

Home
About
Authors
Do Hard Things Conference Philippines

Thursday, July 16, 2009

I'd Like To Know You More

In high school, I loved having my friends sign my autograph book. Aside from spending time with them, my knowledge of them increases because of the autograph book. Take note though that my autograph book is not the kind you buy from bookstores. I made it myself with questions and things that I want to know about them. From contact details down to their hobbies, likes, dislikes and all favorites than can be listed such as colors, seasons, food, drink, etc.

It's most useful to me during holidays and birthdays. I would know just what to give to please them and make them happy in those special dates. I just love making their day.

I'm currently reading A.W. Tozer's Pursuit of God and it has been shaming me of my shallowness and correcting my views about God. Tozer wrote,

"The modern scientist has lost God amid the wonders of His world; we Christians are in real danger of losing God amid the wonders of His word. We have almost forgotten that God is a person and, as such, can be cultivated as any person can."

Most people would acknowledge that there is a God. And to Christians we wholly believe that there is a God. We know that He sent His Son Jesus Christ to die for our sins and if we receive Him in our hearts we receive the gift of eternal life...

Sadly, we end there when in fact there is so much more to receiving His gift of eternal life.

John 17:3 clearly defines what is eternal life, "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." (NIV)

We forget that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit is a Person. He is not an object in the far heavens who is just there. He is a Person who "thinks, wills, enjoys, feels, loves, desires, and suffers as any other person may." (Tozer)

We enjoy the fellowship of our family and friends and He also enjoys having fellowship with His children. Yet, between us and Him, He is the only One who really desires and would enjoy fellowship. We treat quiet times as something dragging, tiring and boring. I'm very much guilty with that.

In relationships there is what you call interpersonal communication. It's a communication between two persons. For it to be effective, each person should keep the communication flow constantly. Just how can our personal relationship with God flourish if the only Person who wants to keep the flow going is Him?

As much as we love being with our loved ones then so much more should we love being with the Person who is our Redeemer, Father, Brother and Friend! We can never enjoy the gift of eternal life if it's only Him knowing us and us not truly knowing Him.

To enjoy eternal life is to enjoy Him. Take action brothers and sisters. How have you been treating God? Is he a mere object or a faraway God to you? Thirst for Him. If you don't feel that thirst, then ask Him to make you thirst! Because only when you thirst will you have the longing to know Him more.

Know what He likes and dislikes. Know all His names. Know what glorifies Him. When we try to know Him, He is so much pleased with us and is glorified.

O God, you are my God,
Earnestly I seek you,
My soul thirsts for you,
My body longs for you,
In a dry and weary land
Where there is no water.

Psalm 63:1

Let us continuously thirst for Him and we shall truly know what is eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment